I tried this recipe about a week ago, more or less, and i have to say it has been a success! Everybody loved it! Why? Because the Orecchiette del contadino is not only a delicious pasta, but also a dish made with a few natural and healthy ingredients in less than 15 minutes.
And this is awesome!
We are very often overwhelmed by tons of things to do or to think about – work, family, kids, cars, house, cleaning, etc – and sometimes cooking it is not the pleasure it should be, especially when we are very tired. But somebody has to do it! So…
Here we are with a quick, healthy and delicious recipe!
Orecchiette del contadino: ingredients for 4!
- EVO oil – 3 spoons
- Eggplant – 1
- black olives (Taggiasca type or Kalamata) – 20
- Capers – 2 spoons
- Tomato sauce – 4 spoons
- 2 dried small spicy pepper
- cooking water
How to make it
- In a no-adherent sauce pan, heat the 3 spoons of EVO oil and the dried pepper.
2. Carefully, wash the eggplant and remove the top and the bottom.
3. Cut the eggplant in slices, first, and in little cubes, then. If you think the peel it is too hard, cut it off: sometimes eggplant’s peel is not very easy to cook nor to chew!
In the meantime, fill the pot with water and wait for it to boil.
4. Add the eggplant cubes, olives and capers to the sauce pan. Cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes, stirring when needed. Take a look at the pot: when the water starts boiling, it’s time to add marine salt and put the pasta in!
Usually orecchiette cook between 6 and 10 minutes: it depends most likely on their sizes, so be careful and check them out often!
5. Back to the sauce pan now: pour the tomato sauce, exactly 4 spoons (for 4 persons). Mix the sauce, but if it starts looking dried add a pair of spoons of cooking water.
7. When Orecchiette are ready, drain, and move them to the sauce pan. Mix the pasta with the sauce.
If you like it, i would suggest a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, but i can assure you that even without it, the Orecchiette del Contadino are delicious!
However, remember that, if you don’t add cheese, this pasta is perfect as vegan dishes…Therefore i think i will add it soon to my vegan dinner ideas post (you can read it here)!! 😀
…Et voilà! The Orecchiette del Contadino are ready to be eaten!
Eggplants, are usually paired to still light white wine: i chose a Tocai Friulano, but Sauvignon Blanc, Sangiovese and Barbera are very good partner as well!
Bon appétit! 😀